- Make certain that the student’s skills meet the job requirements.
- Complete the Federal Work Study Authorization form and complete an Electronic Personnel Action Form (EPAF) before allowing the student to work.
- Determine the work schedule with the student.
- Explain the duties and responsibilities of the job to the student.
- Monitor the student's work hours to ensure that the student does not exceed 20 hours per week.
- Make sure student submits completed time sheet for approval by the shift ending on the last working day of the pay period. Student will not be able to access the time sheet after 11:59 p.m. on the last working day of the pay period. Also approve student's time sheet by 2:00 p.m. on the “Approval Date” for the pay period. Approvers will not be able to approve time sheets after 2:00 p.m.
- Continuously evaluate student’s work performance and supervise accordingly.
- Submit a written termination on each student terminated.
Note: Departments will have to cover 0% of the student’s wages when hiring a work-study student. However, if the department hires an institutional student employee the department covers 100% of the student’s wages.
Strategies for supervisors :
helping student employees succeed
- Be An Example
艾草在线视频2020全新免费观看|艾草在线精品视频在线观看Model strong work habits through efficient, dedicated work practices. Let your own approach to daily work be an example from which students can learn.Back to Top
- Be Flexible
艾草在线视频2020全新免费观看|艾草在线精品视频在线观看Understand that student employees are students first, and employees second. Though it is important to be flexible in order to accommodate academic obligations.Back to Top
- Communicate Expectations
Communicate job standards, requirements, and expectations to your student employees. One should not assume these are self-evident to the student, even though they may seem obvious.Back to Top
- Give Feedback Frequently
Provide consistent and appropriate feedback to your student employees. Student employees, like all employees, benefit from feedback in job performance, providing it is communicated with a positive spirit and the goal of helping the student to succeed.Back to Top
- Be Fair
Supervisors who are too lenient or view students as children are not doing the student any favors. Student jobs are “real jobs”. Treat student employees as you would like to be treated in a similar situation.Back to Top
- Train! Train! Train!
艾草在线视频2020全新免费观看|艾草在线精品视频在线观看Take the time to train your students in important work skills, attitudes, and habits such as time management, phone skills, quality service practices, handling difficult situations.Back to Top
- Be A Team PlayerAs the team leader, develop and nurture the unique contributions of each team member. Take a global perspective.Back to Top
- Give Recognition
When you see a student going “going the extra mile”, acknowledge this in front of other staff and peers. People need to feel appreciated.Back to Top
- Share The Vision
艾草在线视频2020全新免费观看|艾草在线精品视频在线观看Have regular staff meetings with your student employees, and inform them how their work fits into a larger purpose of the department and institution.Back to Top
- Be An Educator
To the degree that we each contribute to the lives of others, we are all educators. Do your part in helping Alabama ricultural and Mechanical University to produce graduates that are quality employees.Back to Top